Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Losing It With Leanne Challenge Day 5

 I'm using that crock cooker!! On tonight's menu is shredded beef. MmmmMMMmmm!! Man, it was easy and delicious! I was a little wary because it called for soy sauce and I don't like soy sauce (and of course I forgot the tip to substitute Worcestershire sauce until I'd already put the soy sauce in, so I used both) but man, oh man! I never should have doubted Leanne! It was fabulous!! I'm eating great and I'm on a diet!! - Go figure!

I did my meat trick that I mentioned in Day 1 of the Challenge I had an almost 3 pound roast, but I only needed 2 pounds for this recipe, but later I'm going to be making another beef recipe that calls for 3/4 pounds, so I cut a little less than a third off the roast for the other recipe, trimmed the fat like I was supposed to and, since I was a 'gicky' anyway with touching all the raw meat and having a 'contaminated' knife and cutting board, I cut the extra third of the roast into the 1-inch cubes that that recipe calls for. When I'm ready for that one, I'll only have to dump the meat out of the bag, I won't even have to touch it! :D

OK, here's a Crock Cooker tip for you: Get your manual and look up this statistic for YOUR slow cooker! My crock cooker's temperature settings are such that 1 hour on high equals 2 hours on low. What does that mean? Well, I was running a little late and I put the roast on at 7, and I was going to need it for 12, but the recipe calls for 6 hours on low, but I only had 5 hours.... so, for one hour in the middle of cooking, I turned it up to high, then turned it back down to low to finish. Then I could take an hour off the timer, because that hour on high did twice the work! Now, unless you have a recipe that has times for low and high, you won't want to change the temperature for too long. This dish was 'designed' to be cooked on low, so if I had cooked it for 3 hours on high, it might not have turned out so nice... Just sayin'. So go look up what the stats are for your crock and the next time you get your cooker turned on a little late, you won't have to sweat it! (And if you don't know where your manual is, google it!)

I didn't do my wii exercises, but I did do another coat of paint in DH's office, and that totally counts.

Oh! I totally got my sides backwards this week. I should know better. You're supposed to cook your sides in the order they'll go bad, and I did it completely backwards! LOL. (Squash and Brussels sprouts last longer than lettuce and spinach.) Oh well. My Romaine is in pretty sad shape, but everything else is holding up OK. I'm gonna be having salads as my sides for the next bit though. 

So anyway, thank you for joining me, and I hope I can help you! It really is fun to be a Homemaking Diva!!

Please comment or send your questions to me at homemakingdiva@hotmail.com

Have great day!

Valerie :D

No comments:

Post a Comment