Thursday, May 31, 2012

Rhubarb anyone?

In my world summer equals rhubarb and blueberries. We've always had a rhubarb patch and blueberries grow wild around here, so .... :)

Yesterday was a little cool, so I decided it was a good day to bake! I made the first rhubarb pie of the season.... Mmmmm hello, summer!

I guess I was in the mood to experiment. Instead of following the recipe exactly, I decided to check how much rhubarb actually fits in a pie. (I love my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, but the pies always seem to be full to overflowing.) Guess what? 2 to 2 1/2 cups fits nicely in a Tenderflake crust - not the 6 cups called for in the recipe! (Yes, I cheat, but it's yummy and fast!) Made a note of THAT. Next time, I think I'll divide the whole recipe down to 1/3 or 1/2 of what it says. Last night I only changed the rhubarb. Turned out well, DH had no complaints! :D

While I was experimenting, and since I had picked more rhubarb, I decided to try making rhubarb stew in the crock cooker! Now I've been eating this since I was knee high to a grasshopper, and I've only ever made it in the microwave - not good, I know! (Plus it's boiled over in the microwave too many times.) My sister found a good stovetop recipe that she uses. So I coarsely chopped the rest of the rhubarb, put about 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the crock, and poured some sugar over the top (no measurements... sorry). If you haven't had this before, you'll need way more sugar than I do, you can add to taste at the end, or in your bowl even. Crocked it on low for 2 hours, opening to stir a few times (I was pretty paranoid about it burning or something). And it turned out perfect! It was more liquidy than normal, so next time I'll put in less water, but it doesn't effect the taste - rhubarb stew is very forgiving.

I've been keeping an eye on the blueberry bushes in the backyard (heck yeah!) and neighbourhood... soon!

So anyway, thank you for joining me, and I hope I can help you! It really is fun to be a Homemaking Diva!!

Please comment or send your questions to me at homemakingdiva@hotmail.com

Have great day!

Valerie :D

No comments:

Post a Comment